A supralevator anorectal abscess may lead to a rare clinical complication, such as perineal necrotizing fasciitis. A 57-year-old man was admitted on an emergency basis with evidence of a deep anorectal abscess of 5-day duration. The clinical presentation involved an unbounded purulent destructive inflammation spreading onto the adjacent areas, with the development of a septic condition. Following a short preparation, a radical surgical debridement of a subfascial purulent necrotic phlegmon of the pelvic space was performed. Since the lower part of the abdomen, retroperitoneum and scrotum were involved, 4 additional subsequent necrectomies were performed at 48-hour intervals. The aggressive radical operative treatment and the combined intensive therapy were the main contributors to the favorable outcome of the disease.
2. Oikonomou C, Alepas P, Gavriil S, Kalliouris D, Manesis K, Bouboulis P, Filippou D, Skandalakis P. A Rare Case of Posterior Horseshoe Abscess Extending to Anterolateral Extraperitoneal Compartment: Anatomical and Technical Considerations. Ann Coloproctol. 2019 May 31;35(4):216-220.
3. Kuzaka B, Wróblewska MM, Borkowski T, Kawecki D, Kuzaka P, Młynarczyk G, Radziszewski P. Fournier's Gangrene: Clinical Presentation of 13 Cases. Med Sci Monit. 2018 Jan 28; 24: 548-555.
4. Czymek R, Hildebrand P, Kleemann M, Roblick U, Hoffmann M, Jungbluth T, Bürk C, Bruch HP, Kujath P. New insights into the epidemiology and etiology of Fournier's gangrene: a review of 33 patients. Infection. 2009 Aug;37(4):306-12.
5. Gadler T, Huey S, Hunt K. Recognizing Fournier's Gangrene in the Emergency Department. Adv Emerg Nurs J. 2019 Jan/Mar;41(1):33-38.
6. Sanyal S, Khan F, Ramachandra P. Successful management of a recurrent supralevator abscess: a case report. Case Rep Surg. 2012; 871639.
7. Garcia-Granero A, Granero-Castro P, Frasson M, Flor-Lorente B, Carreño O, Espí A, Puchades I, Garcia-Granero E. Management of cryptoglandular supralevator abscesses in the magnetic resonance imaging era: a case series. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2014 Dec;29(12):1557-64.
8. Gupta A., Dalela D., Sankhwar S., Goel M., Kumar S., Goel A. Bilateral testicular gangrene: does it occur in Fournier’s gangrene? Int. Urol. Nephrol., 2007, 39, 3, 913-915.
9. Sparenborg JD, Brems JA, Wood AM, Hwang JJ, Venkatesan K. Fournier's gangrene: modern analysis of predictors of outcomes. Transl Androl Urol. 2019 Aug;8(4):374-378.
10. Yılmazlar T., Işık O., Öztürk E., Özer A., Gülcü B. Fournier's gangrene: review of 120 patients and predictors of mortality, Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg., 2014 Sep;20(5):333-7.
11. Singh A, Ahmed K, Aydin A, Khan MS, Dasgupta P. Fournier's gangrene. A clinical review. Arch Ital Urol Androl. 2016 Oct 5;88(3):157-164.
12. Pehlivanli F, Aydin O, Karaca G, Aydin G, Erden Daphan Ç. An Extremely Rare Complication of Widespread Retroperitoneal Abscess Originating from Anorectal Horseshoe Abscess. Bull Emerg Trauma. 2019 Jan;7(1):72-75.
13. Hagedorn JC, Wessells H. A contemporary update on Fournier's gangrene. Nat Rev Urol. 2017 Apr;14(4):205-214.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.